Issue 12 Freedom – The Inner Path to Peace and Joy
In this month’s issue of Practical Spiritual Life Magazine:
- Musings from Nayaswami Kamala
- Non-Attachment by Swami Kriyananda, Affirmations for Self-Healing
- Letting Go of Attachment from A to Zen by Lori Deschene
- The Law of Karma by Paramhansa Yogananda
- In Search of Silence by Chris Roe
- Rise O My Soul
- If You’re Seeking Freedom by Nayaswami Rambhakta
- My Aha Moment by Karen Kain
- The Unpredictable Freedom and Sweetness of Chaos by Leo Babauta
- Quantum Forgiveness: Excerpted from Leap to Freedom by Devrah Laval
- Why I Meditate: Facing Fears and Transforming Consciousness
- Using Religion To Avoid The Divine by Bruce Davis, Ph.D.
- The Magical World of Numbers: JULY-rest, relax, vacation by Elizabeth Summers
- Daily Meditations and Affirmations by Paramhansa Yogananda
- I Perched in the Many Trees of Lives and Sang Thy Songs by Paramhansa Yogananda
We are truly blessed with material abundance. Our basic survival needs are met and we live with all the miracles of modern civilization from hot running water to smart phones, tablets and the Internet that connects us to the rest of the planet.
Now our needs are emotional and spiritual. We want love and joy, peace and calmness. We’re looking for an expanded state of consciousness and higher awareness that comes from inner, rather than outer, freedom.
We will never be able to fully control the people and situations in our lives; we can only control our reactions. The goal is to maintain our inner peace even through the storms of great difficulties, no matter how many waves come crashing down upon us.
Few people have attained this level of inner freedom, but we’ll gain great benefits by starting to practice a few simple techniques. We start with non-attachment—letting go of greed and clinging and especially our opinions of how things ought to be. This practice helps take us out of our heads and into our heart, into a greater awareness of the changeless, everlasting Spirit.
As Swami Kriyananda says in Living Wisely, Living Well, “Make inner freedom your primary goal in life. See every binding desire or attachment as a rope tying your balloon of consciousness to the ground. Sever those ropes, and exclaim vigorously with each slash, ‘You can hold me no longer! My place is high in the sky, soaring over seas and continents on breezes of pure bliss.’”
With Joyful Blessings,
Creator and Founder, Practical Spiritual Life Magazine