Living Life to the Fullest
I’m pondering our topic, “living life to the fullest.” I’m sure you all have a lot of ideas about “what” or “how.” The real question is: What’s stopping us? Usually it’s: FEAR!
Years ago, I saw a movie about a band of American Indians doomed to be annihilated by a cavalry brigade.
One of the heroes was an Indian chief, who, from childhood, had a recurring vision of an island in the middle of a river. He didn’t understand why the vision kept coming to him. Finally, when only a few Indians were left alive and the chief himself was mortally wounded, he was walking on the banks of a river and there, in real life, he saw the island.
Suddenly the meaning of his dream was clear. The island was the place where he was going to die. “Oh, if I had only known,” the chief said. “What a brave warrior I would have been!” Fearlessly, then, he could have gone to battle, knowing that death would not touch him until his vision had been fulfilled.
God veils the future, yet still He expects us to walk courageously into the unknown.
Often we try to bargain with God. “Oh, how courageous, loving, and generous I will be,” we promise, “ if You will meet a few of my conditions first.” Then comes our list of needs for money, relationships, security, health, a glimpse of the future—whatever we think we need to feel more safe and secure.
Yet, when life is over, and the veil has been lifted, and we see how lovingly God has walked with us every step of the way, we say, “Oh, if I had only known, what a brave warrior I would have been!”
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is the willingness to do what we have to do, whether we are afraid or not.
With love, light, and joy—from my heart to yours,
Creator and Founder, Spiritual Life Magazine
Living Life to the Fullest
This issue is about creating a rich, satisfying life, feeling better, being our best selves.
In this issue of Spiritual Life Magazine you’ll find:
- Dear Reader…
- Letter from Nayaswami Kamala
- A Tale of Two Butterflies
- Perhaps there is value in the struggle itself…
- The Afternoon of Life
- The solutions that work in the morning of our lives will eventually cease to work in the afternoon of our lives.
- Affirmations for Self-Healing by Swami Kriyananda
- Live Life to the Fullest
- We all want to have a rich, satisfying life, to feel better, to be our best selves, to reach our fullest potential—or at least we say we do.
- I Will Tell My Son. A Film.
- I will tell my son how we climbed mountains.
- How We Measure Life and The Secret to Stretching Time
- Living more fully is about appreciation, taking risks, altering your perspective, and seizing opportunity.
- Flow: The Secret to Happiness
- TED Talk with Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- A Tea Trip for the Ages
- Today I am finishing an unplanned around-the-world trip with my friend Tynan that featured some of the best tea experiences I’ve ever had.
- Play Is More than Just Fun
- TED Talk with Dr. Stuart Brown
- Yoga Mats, Spirituality, and the “Mundane”
- Too often in our spiritual journey we make the distinction between the mundane and the spiritual.
- Smile—Life is short.